Minutes from meeting 12th September 2017

Here are the minutes from last nights meeting.
Minutes from the meeting of Lancaster and District Heritage Group
held on
Tuesday 12th September 2017
at
The George & Dragon

Present: Andy R, Anne, David I, Andy B, Eileen, Pauline, Jane, David F, Tony, George, Nancy, Shirley, Elizabeth, Roseanna, Christopher, Myra, Maddy.

Apologies: Nigel, Pamela, Mandy, Gary, Sue, Liz, Howard, Michael.

Minutes: The minutes were agreed as a true and accurate record of the previous meeting.

Proposed: Anne Seconded: David F Agreed unanimously

Hillside Update: Two weekends have now been completed and despite the weather some excellent work has been done.

Trench 1:
A new cobbled section has been uncovered north of the section found in June. This has been cleaned and is ready for recording. What at first appeared to be a doorstep at the northern end is now in doubt as it seems to lack the wear normally associated with a doorstep.

It has been discovered that the cobbled layers appear to be running underneath what may be foundation stones suggesting that the cobbles were earlier.

A mortar layer found mid trench now seems to have run out in a southerly direction but we are as yet unsure if it extends east, this will be a job before the rubble layer is removed.

Trench 2:
Having been de turfed and cleaned back, last Sunday saw Jane excavating a small slot in the south east corner of the trench. This work will be carried on at the weekend.

Both trenches are becoming more interesting as we carry out further work.

Work will carry on this weekend weather permitting.

Photographic Slides: Andy B and Pauline went over to Chorley last week to collect the photographic slides we had been offered by our friends at Chorley Heritage Group. There are approximately 2500 slide of so far unknown topics.

What to do with the slides was discussed and it was decided that we shall start to have a look at the slides starting next week at a research meeting starting at 7.30pm

It was also suggested that the group might like to visit the Chorley Heritage Group who are based in a building within Astley Hall a Tudor manor house. The meeting agreed and it suggested that we start to look at some possible dates.

Many thanks to Chorley Heritage Group Chair Lincoln Fields, his wife Val and all of those we met for looking after us so well, lunch was fantastic.

Future Meetings:

Tuesday 19th September 2017 Photographic Slides  The George & Dragon 7.30pm
Tuesday 26th September 2017 No Meeting
Tuesday 3rd October 2017 General Meeting The George & Dragon 7.00pm

AOB:

Pauline: Andy B has been invited to address the CITiZAN conference to be held in London at the end of October 2017.

Christopher: Will be giving a presentation on The Reformation and Lancaster’s part in it. The talk will be held on Friday 13th October 2017 in The Shire Hall, tickets are ¬£5.50 and can be booked at the castle. It is advisable to book in advance. Tickets can be booked by telephoning 01524 64498.

Andy B: Gressingham. It was decided to start to progress this project by carrying out a walkover survey in October followed by a more detailed survey in the new year. It was suggested that we might want to use a metal detectorist and a UAV for the walkover. Andy B to arrange.

Roseanna: Told the group that she had been to visit the DigVentures display in the Storey where she was given the impression that LDHG were still possession of the QM15 finds and archive. This is of course inaccurate as the finds were handed over in March 2017 and the archive handed over in June 2017. It was decided that officers from the group would go to the Storey on Wednesday and investigate this and set the record straight.

Maddy: The Williamson documents are still be transcribed but are progressing well. Need to arrange a meeting with Pauline and Eileen.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.35pm

Addendum

On Wednesday Andy R, Andy B and Maddy went to the Storey where they had a conversation with DigVentures owner Lisa. The matter of the finds and archive was discussed and any misunderstandings were resolved.